Translate

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Singing in the Park and Ward Talent Show



Date: Jun 4, 2014 7:20 AM


Oi familia!!!

This week was really crazzzy!! I feel like it’s been 3 weeks! haha.  But
it was great!   First of all, the singing in the park was super fun.
haha!  It was interesting because we didn’t realize that morning
there would be a HUGE market thing where everyone would be there.   EVERYone had clothes and things displayed that they were selling. so it was very
different.  We sang but weren’t really well prepared so we didn’t have any
pictures or pamphlets or displays for people to look at so they would
listen for a second and walk away because they didn’t know what to do.
We made looots of contacts and a few good ones too ;>).  We’ll see
the potential there!  It was a fun first trial run.

What was even better was the ward talent show!  I read your letters
and you had a talent show, too, a while back!!  It might have been an old email… like super old, but it sounded super fun!   haha.  We made fliers and were passing
them out and planning and talking it up for a month!!   … and finally,
this last Saturday, WOW what success!!!    ;-D  It was awesome!!  Soo many people participated!  Less actives, members, random friends of members, people who we never see at church, random contacts on the street!  It was sooo
awesome and we got to talk to a lot of them and will be visiting with
them soon!  But the real miracle was Sunday,  the next day.  We had a
record high frequencia at church!   We had about 30 people more than our
highest total before!  It was really amazing!  It’s truly amazing what can
happen when the ward is excited to invite their friends!

This week, another miracle!  Remember Felipe: the boy who works for a
member of the ward.  This member went to the temple and felt an
impression that Felipe would accept the gospel.  Yes, well he came to
church again and said his girlfriend doesn’t want him to go to church,
but he went anyway.  So this week we went to visit her and see what’s
up.  We talked and just got to know her, nothing serious, just to get
to know her more.  She is super cool and really down to earth.  She
went to church when she was like 12 or 13 but now she wants to really
understand the church, not just go because of friends. but what really
scared her away was some member said that she and Felipe would have to
go on missions for 2 years and then get married.  hahaha.   oh man..
Soooo yeah, of course, she got super scared away!  She talked about when
they were apart for a year because of school that it was suuuper hard.
and she didn’t want to go another 2 years.   So we talked about missions.
Completely voluntary.   But what was really cool was when we talked
about the blessings of a mission.   How really we go as children -- girls
and boys -- but we truly return as changed adults.  Seriously, it was super
funny.   She was like smiling and super enthralled by the idea.  I love
missions!   haha.  It’s suuuuper hard work and stretches you in every
possible way, but its seriously the best decision in my life.  It has been the most
rewarding, positive, life changing experience I could have had.

But what is really cool is that midway through the lesson, Felipe showed
up and joined us, but he didn’t know we’d be there, and he was holding a
Liahona of the temples.... WHAT hahahha SO COOL.  I think he was
bringing it to show her.  HE’S SO AWESOME!  hahaha.   But we talked about
it and then left, but he prayed for us and was praying, asking God to
help them feel prepared and ready for when they’re baptised.  WOW.  So
yes, we’re prepping him for the 14th.  I’ve never seen someone sooooo
enthusiastically prepared, so young.   He is 20 years old, but he seriously
SERIOUSLY reminds me of Bryon Graham.  Remember him: from the Singles
ward.  Completely prepared, we did practically nothing. well, we never
really do anything, but teach and testify and invite them to do the
rest -- pray and study, then act. but really, it still amazes me how
little we do as missionaries.  Heavenly Father is so in control.  There
is absolutely noo doubt that this is HIS work, that I am nothing
more than a mouthpiece, an instrument, that’s being refined and
polished -- gaining so much more from this than anyone else I’m talking
to.   

This Saturday, we’re starting a class of Ingles.  We’ll be teaching the
very basics through primary songs, and how to pray in English.  I’m
super excited!

OH MAN!  And Patrick!  There’s another boy we’re teaching -- 19 years old.
We were teaching his mom, Ana Claudia, and he walked through the
lesson one day and we talked a little,  but somehow it came up, I think
his mom brought it up.  She said, “I didn’t get to read much, but he reads!”
We were like “What?”   haha.  He borrowed the Book of Mormon from her and
was reading from it.  So we explained a little about it and got to know
him more.  He said he has gone to other churches just to get to know
them better, see what they’re about and we asked if he had every thought
about why there are so many churches that teach different things,
but one God.  I pulled out the restoration pamphlet and he was
looking at it and he said... “the answers in there!”  He was waiting
for me to give it to  him.  haha.  Wow!  He’s just searching and so
excited!  This past week we came back and he was on his way to work, but
we talked a little about the pamphlet, apostasy etc.   He said,
“Ahh, I have to go... but when are you coming back?”
ahh!!  So many super prepared people!  Prepared YOUTH!  It’s just sooo
amazing. but hard because the lifestyle here is so different.  He
works EVERY day from 7pm to 7am.   ahhhh.  Sooo busy, but just so
prepared.  I’m super excited about him AND his mom.  She’s very open and
more excited now because,  he’s excited, too.  I love families :-)

Seriously, I am just so blessed to be here.  Sometimes, I wake up
in the morning -- sometimes at 4 for district meeting ... haha … but I
wake up and am just so overwhelmed with gratitude …  and shock … Really,
sometimes I’ll just sit and think “Wow, I can’t believe I’m really
here!  I’m a missionary.”   I remember looking up to those missionaries at
our house for dinner and thinking how fun and cool!   But now I
understand it truly is soo much more.  I can’t believe I get the
blessing of being able to be one.  How did I deserve this?  I really
didn’t, but I am forever grateful.  Thank you for all of your support
and help in allowing me to be here.  Thank you for raising me with the family
and friends that gave me all the experience that made me who I am
today.  I love this gospel.  I know this is Christ’s true church. and
true Eternal happiness can come from nowhere else  but the restored complete
gospel.

 com muiiiiiito amor!!!!!!!!
 Au Revoir!
(Tchau!!!)
;)

-Sister Yoshimoto

photos from the talent show! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment